One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The radial distance from the pitch circle of a cogwheel or worm wheel to the bottom of the tooth space or groove.Compare with addendum
- ‘Gears have addendums and dedendums that are the amount of tooth above and below the pitch line.’
- ‘The base, standard pitch, addendum and dedendum circles are dashed, and the rack reference origin is highlighted.’
- ‘Moderate scoring shows up as a characteristic wear pattern, often in patches on the addendum, dedendum, or both.’
- ‘The dedendum of the spur gear must be greater than the addendum of the lantern gear to prevent interference.’
- ‘You do need a hob drawing which would have the addendum equal to the dedendum of the gear you are cutting.’
Early 20th century: from Latin, ‘thing that can be surrendered’, neuter gerundive of dedere.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.