One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The removal of the outer layer or cortex from a structure, especially the lung, brain, or other organ.
- ‘The procedure is known as a decortication, and will require general anesthesia.’
- 1.1Medicine The operation of removing fibrous scar tissue that prevents expansion of the lung.
- ‘He underwent a thoracotomy and open decortication and was discharged to home 5 days later.’
- ‘Four of these patients underwent thoracotomy with decortication, but only one substantially improved.’
- ‘In many centres video assisted thoracoscopic surgery is used routinely to accomplish decortication.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.