Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The removal of the outer layer or cortex from a structure, especially the lung, brain, or other organ.
- ‘The procedure is known as a decortication, and will require general anesthesia.’
- 1.1Medicine The operation of removing fibrous scar tissue that prevents expansion of the lung.
- ‘He underwent a thoracotomy and open decortication and was discharged to home 5 days later.’
- ‘Four of these patients underwent thoracotomy with decortication, but only one substantially improved.’
- ‘In many centres video assisted thoracoscopic surgery is used routinely to accomplish decortication.’
Early 17th century: from Latin decorticatio(n-), from decorticare strip of bark (see decorticate).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.