One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The arts concerned with the production of high-quality objects that are both useful and beautiful.
- ‘Over the years, I felt I should involve myself in that, so I took a sabbatical and went to Chicago to study blacksmithing and the decorative arts.’
- ‘Mosaics are one of the oldest known decorative arts, found in archaeological digs as old as 4th Century BC.’
- ‘The movement was very successful in going beyond the borders of fine art and spreading into commercial and decorative arts.’
- ‘The collection focuses on American paintings and decorative arts from the late 17th through 19th centuries.’
- ‘The plates from the earlier work are used frequently as illustrations in this dictionary of materials and techniques in the decorative arts.’
- ‘The art deco style in France permeated every aspect of the decorative arts, but it was particularly appealing to graphic designers.’
- ‘For a man who was more at home in the worlds of music, antiques and the decorative arts, a naval career, which his father insisted he should follow, was anathema.’
- ‘The scope of Burton's artistic ability went well beyond that of decorative arts in the arts and crafts style.’
- ‘Chinese decorative arts have an 8,000-year history; the artisans of the Qing dynasty represent the zenith of many of these arts.’
- ‘Her encouragement of the decorative arts is exemplified by ardent partisanship on behalf of the Sevres pottery she established at Bellevue.’
- ‘In 1892 the two men established the influential Old Edinburgh School of Art, offering classes in the fine and decorative arts.’
- ‘The new American wing for decorative arts opened in 1924.’
- ‘This allows these pieces to shift beautifully between the realms of fine and decorative arts.’
- ‘The Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society was founded in London in 1887 with the goal of elevating the decorative arts to the level of the fine arts.’
- ‘Turke had no formal training in art, but she had designed costumes for the theatre and had experimented with decorative arts.’
- ‘The museum also features galleries devoted to photography and decorative arts, including Steuben glass.’
- ‘By this time, De Morgan had turned his attention to the decorative arts and had been experimenting with stained glass.’
- ‘Each piece of work contains a strong design element bringing to mind decorative arts of the Twenties and Thirties.’
- ‘This refreshing look at the cultural world of a northern European prince is a must-see for those concerned with the decorative arts and the history of collecting.’
- ‘Its broad array of offerings covers the entire history of art, and includes decorative arts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.