One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for Memorial Day
- ‘The first Decoration Day took place on May 30, 1868 at Arlington national cemetery under the order of General John Logan, national commander of the Grand Army of the Republic.’
- ‘Decoration Day was the original name for the holiday now known as Memorial Day.’
- ‘Martin Milmore's Roxbury Soldiers' Monument, also called the Citizen Soldier, was dedicated on the first Decoration Day in 1868.’
- ‘What is the musical connection between George Washington's birthday, Decoration Day, the Fourth of July, Thanksgiving and Forefathers' Day?’
- ‘Memorial Day was originally known as Decoration Day because it was a time set aside to honor the nation's Civil War dead by decorating their graves.’
- ‘Originally called Decoration Day, Memorial Day is a day of remembrance for those who have died in service to our country.’
- ‘In addition, Parnellites often used Decoration Day as an additional occasion, apart from ‘Ivy Day,’ on which to decorate Parnell's grave and to celebrate his memory.’
- ‘In both North and South during the late 1860s, cemeteries became the focal point of a new holiday - Memorial Day, often known as Decoration Day.’
- ‘On May 5, 1868, he issued General Order 11 to Grand Army posts and Memorial Day, then known as Decoration Day (for it was a day to decorate the graves of the war's fallen) took root.’
- ‘Today, if 1.8 percent of the population were killed in war, there would be 5.4 million graves to decorate on Decoration Day.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.