One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The state or process of rotting; decay.‘the decomposition of organic waste’
decay, rotting, going bad, putrefaction, putrescence, putridity, festering, spoilage, perishingbreaking up, breaking apart, fragmenting, disintegration, crumbling, dissolution, dissolvingseparation, division, breakdown, break-upView synonyms
- ‘Police reported that the bodies were in such a state of decomposition that they were unable to tell if there were any marks of violence.’
- ‘A veterinary surgeon who visited the farm later reported a smell which indicated the advanced decomposition of animal remains.’
- ‘To speed up decomposition, we sometimes spread the leaves on a rough piece of grass and run the rotary mower over them several times.’
- ‘It has since proved difficult to identify the remains due to their advanced stage of decomposition.’
- ‘Layers of leaves or other organic matter are sometimes added to speed decomposition.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.