Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The state or process of rotting; decay.‘the decomposition of organic waste’
decay, rotting, going bad, putrefaction, putrescence, putridity, festering, spoilage, perishingbreaking up, breaking apart, fragmenting, disintegration, crumbling, dissolution, dissolvingseparation, division, breakdown, break-upView synonyms
- ‘To speed up decomposition, we sometimes spread the leaves on a rough piece of grass and run the rotary mower over them several times.’
- ‘It has since proved difficult to identify the remains due to their advanced stage of decomposition.’
- ‘Layers of leaves or other organic matter are sometimes added to speed decomposition.’
- ‘Police reported that the bodies were in such a state of decomposition that they were unable to tell if there were any marks of violence.’
- ‘A veterinary surgeon who visited the farm later reported a smell which indicated the advanced decomposition of animal remains.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.