One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The state or process of rotting; decay.‘the decomposition of organic waste’
decay, rotting, going bad, putrefaction, putrescence, putridity, festering, spoilage, perishingbreaking up, breaking apart, fragmenting, disintegration, crumbling, dissolution, dissolvingseparation, division, breakdown, break-upView synonyms
- ‘A veterinary surgeon who visited the farm later reported a smell which indicated the advanced decomposition of animal remains.’
- ‘Police reported that the bodies were in such a state of decomposition that they were unable to tell if there were any marks of violence.’
- ‘Layers of leaves or other organic matter are sometimes added to speed decomposition.’
- ‘To speed up decomposition, we sometimes spread the leaves on a rough piece of grass and run the rotary mower over them several times.’
- ‘It has since proved difficult to identify the remains due to their advanced stage of decomposition.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.