Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a country) withdraw from (a colony), leaving it independent.‘they must decolonize French Polynesia’
- ‘We had a policy under which the nations of the so-called ‘developing world,’ today, would have been decolonized immediately at the end of the war, under U.S. power.’
- ‘It wasn't only Africa that was decolonized; the end of empire was also a process of decolonialization.’
- ‘This fourth option involves nothing short of decolonizing the Nation of Anishinabe.’
- ‘Spain seemed in no hurry to decolonize those lands.’
- ‘British army personnel were prioritized, but when the number of military dead surpassed that of British losses in Cyprus, the IRA realized that Britain would or could not easily decolonize Ireland.’
- ‘When Britain tried to decolonise Rhodesia in the 1960s, it was opposed by the white settlers who eventually made the Unilateral Declaration of Independence in 1965.’
- ‘Britain could be seen as conquering the Transkei, and Afrikaners as decolonizing it.’
- ‘It has been felt all the more now that most of the African countries have been decolonised and ever since South Africa held its first democratic election in 1994.’
- ‘At home, the indigenous population came out from under the regimes of the protectors and directors of native welfare, and with the arrival of a Labor government, plans were set for Papua New Guinea to be decolonised.’
- ‘In Canada and the United States, we tend to think of ourselves as being far ahead of other Indigenous peoples in decolonising this continent.’
- ‘Out of fear of becoming decolonized as a part of the Netherlands Antilles, Aruba opted for separate status.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.