Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The material of the deck of a ship.
- ‘It is claimed that some teak benches in public parks in England that are still in use today are made of recycled decking from old sailing ships and are nearly a century old.’
- ‘These shallow-keeled open boats have no decking and no external ballast on the hull.’
- ‘What do you do with a leaky old pool surrounded by unattractive concrete decking that takes up half the backyard?’
- ‘The 5/4 or 2X material used for decking should be no greater than 6 inches in width due to a propensity to warp in wider boards.’
- ‘The blaze burned into the decking of the 103-year-old pier prompting fears that its supporting structure may have been weakened.’
- ‘We found another such tank lying among the rubble of decking and girders.’
- ‘From the raised wooden decking at the rear of the building, the view is spectacular.’
- ‘Considering that the ship has been down almost 60 years, the wooden decking is in most places surprisingly intact, though it has rotted almost completely away in some areas.’
- ‘Fixed to the wooden decking, the ship's wheel still stands upright.’
- ‘The decking or ‘floor’ of these bridges are made either from steel plate, or from concrete reinforced steel rods.’
- ‘Does any decking or framing need to be replaced?’
- ‘The upfront cost of plastic decking can be twice that of wood.’
- ‘So far we've found decking and timber lined with leather which was a feature of the period and we've also uncovered canons.’
- ‘Once redwood siding or decking has been cleaned and restored, it is time to apply a protective finish.’
- ‘TimberTech decking is a high-tech composite material made from recycled wood fiber and polymers.’
- ‘In order to keep weight down, the teak decking is quite thin and harsh abrasives and repeated pressure washing will eventually wear out the teak.’
- ‘Beams are of Douglas load-bearing fir, while the extra strength roof shingles and decking are of red Cedar.’
- ‘Unlike wood, composite decking does not have to be coated with a protective finish.’
- ‘The pattern of the 2-by - 6 decking of clear Western red cedar emphasizes the octagonal shape.’
- ‘This place was fantastic, wooden decking, huge big sliding doors leading into the apartment in which there was a beautiful and enormous wooden bookshelf hugging the wall.’
- 1.1 The material of a lumber platform or terrace attached to a house or other building.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.