Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The material of the deck of a ship.
- ‘In order to keep weight down, the teak decking is quite thin and harsh abrasives and repeated pressure washing will eventually wear out the teak.’
- ‘TimberTech decking is a high-tech composite material made from recycled wood fiber and polymers.’
- ‘We found another such tank lying among the rubble of decking and girders.’
- ‘So far we've found decking and timber lined with leather which was a feature of the period and we've also uncovered canons.’
- ‘From the raised wooden decking at the rear of the building, the view is spectacular.’
- ‘This place was fantastic, wooden decking, huge big sliding doors leading into the apartment in which there was a beautiful and enormous wooden bookshelf hugging the wall.’
- ‘Unlike wood, composite decking does not have to be coated with a protective finish.’
- ‘These shallow-keeled open boats have no decking and no external ballast on the hull.’
- ‘It is claimed that some teak benches in public parks in England that are still in use today are made of recycled decking from old sailing ships and are nearly a century old.’
- ‘The pattern of the 2-by - 6 decking of clear Western red cedar emphasizes the octagonal shape.’
- ‘Fixed to the wooden decking, the ship's wheel still stands upright.’
- ‘Once redwood siding or decking has been cleaned and restored, it is time to apply a protective finish.’
- ‘Considering that the ship has been down almost 60 years, the wooden decking is in most places surprisingly intact, though it has rotted almost completely away in some areas.’
- ‘Beams are of Douglas load-bearing fir, while the extra strength roof shingles and decking are of red Cedar.’
- ‘The decking or ‘floor’ of these bridges are made either from steel plate, or from concrete reinforced steel rods.’
- ‘Does any decking or framing need to be replaced?’
- ‘What do you do with a leaky old pool surrounded by unattractive concrete decking that takes up half the backyard?’
- ‘The blaze burned into the decking of the 103-year-old pier prompting fears that its supporting structure may have been weakened.’
- ‘The upfront cost of plastic decking can be twice that of wood.’
- ‘The 5/4 or 2X material used for decking should be no greater than 6 inches in width due to a propensity to warp in wider boards.’
- 1.1The material of a lumber platform or terrace attached to a house or other building.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.