One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The position of a digit to the right of a decimal point.
- ‘He produced his Treatise on the Circumference in July 1424, a work in which he calculated 2p to nine sexagesimal places and translated this into sixteen decimal places.’
- ‘He investigated the series and calculated Euler's constant to 15 decimal places.’
- ‘What is the value of the number 12.4547 rounded up to 2 decimal places?’
- ‘Euler gave an approximation for e to 18 decimal places,’
- ‘This converts to the decimal 1.3688081075 which is correct to nine decimal places, a remarkable achievement.’
- ‘Its digits have been computed to 51,539,600,000 decimal places.’
- ‘In his spare time, between 1844 and 1847, he calculated the natural logarithms of the first 1005000 numbers to 7 decimal places.’
- ‘Its digits have been computed to 1,241,100,000,000 decimal places.’
- ‘Converted to decimals this is 0.0087268 which is correct to 6 decimal places, the answer to 7 decimal places being 0.0087265.’
- ‘With my pulse racing, I checked their results against mine. Our figures and graphs agreed to within three decimal places.’
- ‘He calculated the constant to 16 decimal places.’
- ‘Similarly to divide by 10, 100, 1000, or 10000 the rods are moved backwards by 1, 2, 3, or 4 decimal places.’
- ‘Given that expression, which represents an infinite number of decimal digits, you can compute its value to any number of decimal places.’
- ‘We have seen that to the left of the decimal place, the digits represent 1's, 10's, 100's, 1000's, and so on.’
- ‘The company also relies on laser micrometers to accurately measure tube diameters to five decimal places.’
- ‘Find the square root of 821 to four decimal places.’
- ‘Computers have calculated pi to many decimal places.’
- ‘These tables display a high degree of accuracy, being correct to at least 8 decimal places.’
- ‘A more careful analysis can be given to show that the sum of this series is 23.10345, to five decimal places.’
- ‘In 1908 he published an article where he calculated p to 200 decimal places.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.