One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A metric unit of capacity, equal to one tenth of a liter.
- ‘Data now suggest that lead affects development of kids’ thinking skills at concentrations below 10 micrograms per deciliters ([microg/dl) of blood.’
- ‘A deciliter is 1 / 10th of a liter, which is a little more than a quart.’
- ‘Low blood sugar - a level below about 60 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) - results from too much insulin and not enough sugar in your blood.’
- ‘If you have no other risk factors for heart disease, an LDL level greater than 190 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) generally warrants medication.’
- ‘If your child has a blood level of 20 micrograms per deciliter (mcg/dl) or two blood tests of 1519 mcg/dl, your home should be tested.’
- ‘I made the pastry according to my own regular recipe - 3 deciliters of flour, about 100 g butter, diced, and a tablespoon of iced water.’
- ‘The level that's regarded in Australia as being an unacceptable level is more than 10 micrograms per decilitre in the blood, which means 10-millionths of a gram for each tenth of a litre of blood.’
- ‘Values reported are in milligrams per deciliter.’
- ‘The quantity of glucose in the blood seldom exceeds 160 milligrams / decilitre (mg/dl) of blood shortly after food sugar has been absorbed, nor seldom falls below 60 mg/dl during fasting.’
- ‘Researchers at Johns Hopkins University report an increased risk of heart disease in diabetics with sustained elevated blood sugar levels over 150 milligrams per deciliter.’
- ‘If your total cholesterol is below 200 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dl), generally you need not worry.’
- ‘The study involved 517 men and women, aged 20 to 70, from Worcester County, Massachusetts, who started out with an average total cholesterol level of 222 milligrams per decilitre of blood for men and 213 for women.’
- ‘In the United States, each measurement is expressed in terms of milligrams per deciliter, or mg/dL.’
- ‘Haemoglobin is measured in terms of the weight present in grams per 100 millilitres (1 decilitre or dl) of blood.’
- ‘Eight of the participants had diabetes, and all nine participants had high triglyceride levels ranging from 445 to 9,560 milligrams per deciliter (mg. / dl.).’
- ‘Check your ketone level if you experience any of these signs and symptoms or your blood sugar is elevated, with blood sugars persistently above 250 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL).’
- ‘Urine tests provide you with only a rough estimate of your blood sugar level and can't detect levels below 180 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL).’
- ‘Now people considered at risk of heart attack, whose ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol is as low as 100 milligrams per deciliter, may be wondering whether they should start popping pills.’
- ‘After fasting for more than an eight-hour period, most people have a blood sugar level of between 70 and 100 mg/dL (milligrams of glucose per deciliter of blood).’
- ‘Pathology reports after his death revealed his body contained 178 milligrammes of alcohol per decilitre of blood.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.