One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Each of ten equal groups into which a population can be divided according to the distribution of values of a particular variable.‘the lowest income decile of the population’
- ‘Individuals who were in the lowest part of the income distribution for more than a decade face gasoline tax burdens nearly twice as high as the burden placed on the top decile of income.’
- ‘The bottom deciles all lost real income between 1982 and 1998.’
- ‘In one study based on U.S. data, for example, people in the top decile of the income distribution averaged more than five points higher on a ten-point happiness scale than people in the bottom decile.’
- ‘Between 1986 and 1998, the families in the bottom five deciles went backwards in terms of real income.’
- ‘The annual income bias is especially high in the lowest annual income decile, equaling almost 10 percent of income.’
- 1.1 Each of the nine values of the random variable that divide a population into ten such groups.
- ‘Nine intervals, rather than deciles, were selected so that the expected mean value would be contained in a single central interval.’
Late 17th century: from French décile, from a medieval Latin derivative of Latin decem ‘ten’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.