One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘A selected number of variables in those two years is assumed to represent the outcomes of earlier decennia of colonization.’
- ‘The new census figures show a lower rate of increase than in any decennium of the last century.’
- ‘This resistance tended to increase in the later decennia of the nineteenth century, due to the intensification of cultural differences known as the ‘pillarisation-process’.’
- ‘These two issues will prove to be essential in the decennia to come.’
- ‘McConachie envisions a predominantly ‘elite’ audience in the stock companies in the Northeast of the USA in the first decennia of the nineteenth century, who abandoned the theatres for opera in the 1830s because of the star system.’
Late 17th century: from Latin, from decem ‘ten’ + annus ‘year’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.