One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An athletic event taking place over two days, in which each competitor takes part in the same prescribed ten events (100-meter dash, long jump, shot put, high jump, 400-meter dash, 110-meter hurdles, discus, pole vault, javelin, and 1,500-meter run).
- ‘He showed a particular talent for track and field, settling into the decathlon as his primary event.’
- ‘He will be competing in the pole vault, javelin and 110 metres hurdles before doing his first decathlon of 2004 at the AAA Under-20 Combined Events Championships in Stoke the week after.’
- ‘He began training for the decathlon after being sidelined with an injury and watching other decathletes train.’
- ‘Drechsler's boyfriend is also an athlete, or rather a former athlete, as the Frenchman Blondel has retired from the decathlon.’
- ‘After competing in football, basketball, baseball and wrestling in high school Pappas began training for the decathlon in 1995; his first win came in 1998’
- ‘This technique can pull an athlete's core temperature down in just a few minutes, and can be used to help athletes to refresh between competitions in events such as the decathlon, as well as to develop heat tolerance during training.’
- ‘He won the gold medal in the decathlon at the AAA's Championships with a score of 6,286 points.’
- ‘Tom Waddell, a 30-year-old army physician, comes sixth in the Olympic decathlon.’
- ‘World bronze medallist Dmitriy Karpov of Kazakhstan stretched his overnight lead in the decathlon to 166 points after the first two events on the second day of the 10-discipline event.’
- ‘Steve Harris is a Senior Level 4 coach at the Barnet and District Athletics Club, coaching events in long jump, sprints, decathlon, discus and javelin.’
- ‘‘This Rover Initiative will help raise the profile of combined events and encourage more youngsters to take up the decathlon and heptathlon,’ added Campbell.’
- ‘The Kazahkstan athlete leads the decathlon after seven events.’
- ‘Although Yang did not win by the 10 seconds he needed in the final event of the decathlon - the 1,500 meters - for the gold medal in Rome, he nevertheless won Taiwan's first medal in the Olympics, a silver.’
- ‘The decathlon resumes early on Tuesday with the 110 metres hurdles and continues with the discus, pole vault, javelin and 1500 metres.’
- ‘He placed fifth in the decathlon at the 2000 U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials’
- ‘Dean Macey today vowed to be back stronger than ever after a remarkable fourth place in the Olympic decathlon in Athens.’
- ‘The 1912 Olympics in Stockholm are best remembered for Jim Thorpe's world record successes in the most demanding track and field events, the pentathlon and the decathlon.’
- ‘Macey, competing in his first decathlon since the Sydney Olympics, punched the air when he saw his time on the stadium scoreboard.’
- ‘To an educated European audience, it seems strange that the opening ceremony could be a total sell-out but a day with the women's 100m, men's triple-jump, women's pole vault and the decathlon falls 10,000 short of capacity.’
- ‘He is a two-time Middle Eastern Athletic Conference shotput champion, and finished fourth in the decathlon at the conference meet.’
Early 20th century: from deca- ‘ten’ + Greek athlon ‘contest’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.