One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An enzyme that catalyzes the decarboxylation of a particular organic molecule.
- ‘A major source of ammonium, especially in C 3 plants, arises in the mitochondria from the decarboxylation of glycine to serine by the glycine decarboxylase as part of the photorespiratory cycle.’
- ‘Two inherited disorders affecting pyrimidine biosynthesis are the result of deficiencies in the bifunctional enzyme catalyzing the last two steps of UMP synthesis, orotate phosphoribosyl transferase and OMP decarboxylase.’
- ‘The key enzyme in initial stages of alkaloid biosynthesis is tryptophan decarboxylase.’
- ‘This process would consume protons in a similar way to the malic enzyme reaction and PEPCK might therefore be functioning as a decarboxylase in the biochemical pH stat.’
- ‘Green tea catechins have been shown to inhibit the actions of 5-alpha-reductase and ornithine decarboxylase, two enzymes considered important in the development of prostate cancer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.