An enzyme that catalyzes the decarboxylation of a particular organic molecule.
- ‘This process would consume protons in a similar way to the malic enzyme reaction and PEPCK might therefore be functioning as a decarboxylase in the biochemical pH stat.’
- ‘The key enzyme in initial stages of alkaloid biosynthesis is tryptophan decarboxylase.’
- ‘Green tea catechins have been shown to inhibit the actions of 5-alpha-reductase and ornithine decarboxylase, two enzymes considered important in the development of prostate cancer.’
- ‘A major source of ammonium, especially in C 3 plants, arises in the mitochondria from the decarboxylation of glycine to serine by the glycine decarboxylase as part of the photorespiratory cycle.’
- ‘Two inherited disorders affecting pyrimidine biosynthesis are the result of deficiencies in the bifunctional enzyme catalyzing the last two steps of UMP synthesis, orotate phosphoribosyl transferase and OMP decarboxylase.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.