One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person making a first appearance in a career or in fashionable society.
- ‘York Wasps were forced to field no fewer than seven debutants against league leaders Leigh last night and paid the price with the biggest home defeat in their history.’
- ‘There is a story that's told about how a debutant in the Portugal team made the mistake of taking the seat in the team bus where Figo always sat.’
- ‘In Messina, Italy, Joonas Kolkka played in Finland's 1-0 friendly loss against an Italian side full of debutants.’
- ‘Brown will also give chances to many of the debutants who made such an impact in the 1-1 draw with Poland.’
- ‘Tindall was dynamite, and Steve Thompson, the debutant hooker, a huge man in attack.’
- ‘South Africa are playing with a new-look side led by Smith, which includes three debutants - left-handed batsman Rudolph and pacemen Dawson and Charl Willoughby.’
- ‘This time, however, Dortmund had 14 players injured, and three young debutants, one of whom was sent off.’
- ‘Hong Kong, with ten debutants, dismissed three batsmen for a run to end UAE's innings at 127, the same score Hong Kong had made in their first innings.’
- ‘The manager's experiments have included the use of 27 players in three fixtures, including 14 debutants.’
- ‘Harrogate are likely to again try a few new faces, having played nine debutants, including seven summer signings, in the 3-0 defeat by First Division Barnsley on Tuesday.’
- ‘‘Our Day Out’ was, overall, an excellent team effort with the older members of the cast providing a perfect balance with the debutants.’
- ‘The Mount Sion duo of goalkeeper Ian O'Regan and corner-forward Sean Ryan are the Waterford debutants in tomorrow's NHL showdown with champions Kilkenny at Nowlan Park.’
- ‘The back three work as a single entity and if a debutant full-back has an experienced mate alongside him, that can only help him.’
- ‘Although beaten 84-12, Innes - one of seven debutants in the York side last night - insists he will be back for more.’
- ‘Drummond's victory made him the first debutant to win at Wentworth since Arnold Palmer in 1975.’
- ‘Essex had three debutants in their side including 32-year-old fast bowler Joseph Grant who plays for Dunnington in the Huntters the Estate Agent York Senior League.’
- ‘Over the years, Tottenham Hotspur have had a fine tradition of crowd winning goalscoring debutants.’
- ‘After his own sending-off on 34 minutes, Brass admitted he was delighted the way his side, featuring no fewer than five debutants, rallied to the cause even without their boss.’
- ‘Henry is using the match to have a closer look at three debutants in the starting line-up and two more in the reserves.’
- ‘Jim Leishman's team may be European debutants, but they were also the third-best side in Scotland last season.’
Early 19th century: from French débutant ‘leading off’, from the verb débuter.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.