One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The partial or total remission of debts, especially those owed by developing countries to external creditors.
- ‘He made two long telephone calls to Bono, the rock star who has campaigned for debt relief.’
- ‘Japan has decided that cancelling debts from oil-rich Iraq will count towards its debt-relief programme to poor countries.’
- ‘Taylor said the United States would continue to push for 100 percent debt relief for the poorest countries.’
- ‘A government could temporarily change policies in order to be granted debt relief or aid, reverting afterward to bad policies.’
- ‘Debt relief, too, is imbued with moral hazard: the worse a government behaves, the more it is rewarded.’
- ‘Tanzania, for example is one of six countries to complete the current debt relief program.’
- ‘Countries like Somalia and Liberia are heavily indebted but will not qualify for debt relief from the World Bank anytime soon.’
- ‘This is the first time any G8 leader anywhere at any time has called for full debt relief.’
- ‘Debt relief was accorded to Chad in May 2001.’
- ‘The international debt relief initiative is an example of effective aid.’
- ‘Labor considers debt relief to be a very important component in efforts to alleviate global poverty.’
- ‘The World Bank and IMF require countries to implement such programs as a condition for new loans as well as debt relief.’
- ‘Unlike the banks, bilateral donors have more freedom to offer debt relief to their borrowers.’
- ‘Cardinal Renato Martino heaped praise on British Prime Minister Blair for his role in promoting African debt relief.’
- ‘Following the crisis, Russia's administration requested IMF funds primarily for debt relief.’
- ‘Despite bipartisan support, funding debt relief was still an uphill battle.’
- ‘The second pillar of this strategy should be to provide more targeted debt relief for the world's poor nations.’
- ‘Bipartisan support for the full funding of debt relief grew.’
- ‘Kenya, for example, is not an HIPC country but has a stronger case for debt relief than Mozambique.’
- ‘Another condition for receiving debt relief has been to curb public spending.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.