One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The partial or total remission of debts, especially those owed by developing countries to external creditors.
- ‘Taylor said the United States would continue to push for 100 percent debt relief for the poorest countries.’
- ‘Tanzania, for example is one of six countries to complete the current debt relief program.’
- ‘Kenya, for example, is not an HIPC country but has a stronger case for debt relief than Mozambique.’
- ‘Another condition for receiving debt relief has been to curb public spending.’
- ‘The World Bank and IMF require countries to implement such programs as a condition for new loans as well as debt relief.’
- ‘Cardinal Renato Martino heaped praise on British Prime Minister Blair for his role in promoting African debt relief.’
- ‘Following the crisis, Russia's administration requested IMF funds primarily for debt relief.’
- ‘Countries like Somalia and Liberia are heavily indebted but will not qualify for debt relief from the World Bank anytime soon.’
- ‘Debt relief, too, is imbued with moral hazard: the worse a government behaves, the more it is rewarded.’
- ‘He made two long telephone calls to Bono, the rock star who has campaigned for debt relief.’
- ‘A government could temporarily change policies in order to be granted debt relief or aid, reverting afterward to bad policies.’
- ‘Debt relief was accorded to Chad in May 2001.’
- ‘Unlike the banks, bilateral donors have more freedom to offer debt relief to their borrowers.’
- ‘Bipartisan support for the full funding of debt relief grew.’
- ‘The second pillar of this strategy should be to provide more targeted debt relief for the world's poor nations.’
- ‘Despite bipartisan support, funding debt relief was still an uphill battle.’
- ‘Labor considers debt relief to be a very important component in efforts to alleviate global poverty.’
- ‘Japan has decided that cancelling debts from oil-rich Iraq will count towards its debt-relief programme to poor countries.’
- ‘The international debt relief initiative is an example of effective aid.’
- ‘This is the first time any G8 leader anywhere at any time has called for full debt relief.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.