Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
verb[WITH OBJECT]usually as adjective debossed
1 Stamp (a design) into the surface of an object so that it is indented.‘debossed awareness bracelets’
- ‘The front and back covers are black leather and have a beautiful debossed pattern.’
- ‘Skully will do his utmost to take good care of the surface of the saddle whilst debossing the lettering.’
- ‘Debossing a design into a product adds a subtle, monochromatic elegance to the product.’
- ‘With our custom silicone dog tags you can have your logos or text debossed into the surface.’
- ‘I have both embossed and debossed the text to get as much depth out of the oak wood as possible.’
- ‘Each legend is hand-tooled to order, debossed into your saddle by Skully using brass leather punches.’
- ‘About four years ago, a customer rang up and asked for a logo debossed on a leather folder.’
- ‘The title of the book is debossed in gold.’
- ‘Filled with the sumptuous detail Christensen is renowned for, and made even more vivid by the gold trim and debossed image of our exclusive Cameo Collection styling, you could say this lovable royal is a real bird-brain.’
- ‘Ink can be added to make the embossed or debossed letters or images show up in colour.’
- ‘Sport wristbands can be used as source of inspiration to the players if inspiring words are debossed on them.’
- ‘The final jewel in the crown is the metal dink snapped into the centre hole with the legend 'SNAP-IT Kay Music Co. N.Y.-N.Y.' debossed into it.’
- ‘The text and images you choose are debossed into our bands.’
- 1.1 Stamp a design into the surface of (an object)‘the shoulders of the lemon-yellow bottle are debossed with lemons’
- ‘The weekend bag also arrives ready to go with a debossed leather luggage tag.’
- ‘The book's letterpressed cover is debossed with gold ink on a red bookcloth.’
- ‘Debossed wristbands are produced by creation of a mold that resembles the shape of the wristband.’
- ‘The pictures will be offered in limited-edition runs of 695 per print, each debossed with the Tournament of Roses logo.’
- ‘Our wristbands are 100% silicone and can be debossed with your own message and/or logo.’
- ‘This special print edition is accompanied by a hand-drawn remarque on separate debossed, archival paper with a deckled edge.’
- ‘I just love the debossed envelopes! What a classy idea to add that perfect touch!’
- ‘We do not accept returns on any customized items, such as engraved or debossed items, for refunds or merchandise exchanges.’
- ‘I was inspired by the many debossed letterpressed cards I've come across that to me have a quiet snow-like feel to them.’
- ‘Each lady won a set of gorgeous debossed thank you cards.’
1930s: from de- and emboss.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.