One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who argues about a subject, especially in a formal manner.‘he is a skilled debater and has a deep command of the issues’
- ‘He became known as a superb speaker, a witty panellist, and a persuasive debater.’
- ‘As Gould once noted, the truth is only one weapon, seldom the best, in a debater's arsenal.’
- ‘He is also a brilliant orator and a superb debater.’
- ‘He's been a very effective debater in the past.’
- ‘He won prizes, and acquired a reputation as a debater and translator.’
- ‘She grew up in Oregon, where she placed second in the state as a high-school debater.’
- ‘His prowess as a skilful debater in Parliament is also well known.’
- ‘With a great reputation as a debater, he was increasingly mistrusted by his opponents.’
- ‘As a platform speaker and debater he had few equals in a land of fluent speakers.’
- ‘Success will hang on the debaters' ability to exploit this divisive topic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.