Cease to attribute (a work of art) to a particular artist.
- ‘Sometimes, deattributing an artwork does make it look a good deal worse - does entail serious value judgments as an essential critical role - and that can be good, too.’
- ‘As a result, a number of works previously thought to be by Vermeer were deattributed, including Young Woman Seated at the Virginals.’
- ‘To achieve this they have deattributed works that do not fit with their conceptions but in the mirror section I demonstrate that their conceptions are mistaken.’
- ‘A few dozen prints have been deattributed, while a smaller number of works have now been added to his oeuvre.’
- ‘It had been listed in Rembrandt catalogs in the 19th century and in 1915 but was later deattributed by scholars.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.