Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A vigil kept beside a dead or dying individual.
- ‘I was intrigued by the fact that Father Roderick was in Rome and recording on the streets during the deathwatch and funeral for the pope.’
- ‘Twice, in recent years, I have kept a deathwatch.’
- ‘During this period newspapers carried front-page stories of his losing battle with throat cancer, and readers maintained a long-distance deathwatch.’
- ‘When his friend Sir Joseph Hooker's young son fell ill, Darwin drew on his own agonizing deathwatch of Annie to comfort him.’
- ‘Big Daddy's birthday party brings the family together, but it is actually a deathwatch.’
- ‘The story focuses on three sisters' deathwatch for their mother.’
- ‘Or maybe I'm just a sucker for another Hollywood tradition, a deathwatch graced by an angelic kid's big smile.’
2A small beetle with larvae that bore into dead wood and structural timbers, causing considerable damage. The adult makes a sound like a watch ticking that was formerly believed to portend death.
- ‘Male death-watch beetles bang their heads against the sides of their wooden tunnels to attract females.’
- ‘Anobiids are similar to lyctids in color and size, but are cylindrical; the common furniture and death-watch beetles belong in this group.’
- ‘He studied the habits of wasps, death-watch beetles and migrating birds, and corresponded with Hans Sloane on smallpox and the noises made by unborn children in the womb.’
- ‘The piece of oak pictured left has exit holes of death-watch beetle (larger holes, actual diameter about 3-4 mm) and furniture beetle (smaller holes).’
- ‘Indeed, the behaviour of death-watch beetle actually makes it more susceptible to surface treatments than common furniture beetle.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.