One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An armed paramilitary group formed to kill particular people, especially political opponents.
- ‘In the midst of the manhunt, a clandestine death squad emerged, and began murdering his associates, relatives, lawyers, and even his lawyers' families.’
- ‘He was subsequently killed by a loyalist death squad.’
- ‘But nobody really knows why their street was selected by the death squad.’
- ‘On April 7 a Colombian death squad struck at the family of a union leader, killing two adults and wounding three children.’
- ‘When the death squad arrives to kill his father, they decide it would be best to make the deaths look like an accident.’
- ‘On December 1 a union leader was kidnapped by a paramilitary death squad.’
- ‘He was part of a death squad working for the Nazis which killed more than 30,000 people along the eastern front.’
- ‘The report cites the activities of a death squad armed and funded by the country's wealthiest businessmen.’
- ‘A quarter of a century after gunning down their victim, four members of a government-backed death squad were sentenced to 30 years each in prison for the murder.’
- ‘The death squad arrived at the hotel shortly afterwards looking for what locals said was the European.’
- ‘Last year evidence emerged of a death squad, known as the ‘Werewolves’, operating within the police force and responsible for a dozen murders.’
- ‘The Battalion was another name for the horrible death squad that was operating in Honduras at that time.’
- ‘So the prosecutors are keen to prosecute him on a 25-year sentence, for either drugs trafficking or links with a death squad.’
- ‘An Irish human rights worker hiding from a paramilitary death squad in Colombia has been allowed to leave an isolated region controlled by right-wing extremists.’
- ‘The death squad was sent across the country to murder political prisoners.’
- ‘Prosecutors accuse him of authorizing a military death squad to kill 15 suspected leftist guerrillas in 1991.’
- ‘In 1976, when he was only five months old, his mother was murdered by a death squad during the brutal wave of repression by Argentina's military dictatorship.’
- ‘The assassins were known to be members of a right-wing death squad.’
- ‘In fact there was the wall-to-wall suspicion that the group was the closest thing to a death squad, absolutely beyond the reaches or control of the police commissioner.’
- ‘In 2001, he was indicted for the killings carried out by a death squad that executed 75 political prisoners in the weeks after the coup.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.