Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A human skull as a symbol of mortality.
- ‘Shamael is a tattoo artist who himself now sports Celtic crosses, screaming eagles, and death's heads.’
- ‘Their members are easily spotted because their heads, necks and arms are often covered with elaborate tattoos bearing symbols of the three main gangs - ‘MS,’ ‘13,’ ‘18’ and dice, death's heads or daggers.’
- ‘Lucy's delirium uncannily resembles Anna O.'s vision of a death's head in Studies on Hysteria.’
- ‘It is easy to read the death's head in The Ambassadors purely as an exercise in negation, particularly since the anamorphosis so unsettles one's sense of reality.’
- ‘Witches, black cats, death's head cut from a pumpkin, candles, masks, parties and pranks were used.’
- ‘His first death's heads had geometric wings, a double row of teeth, a double triangular nose, and large blank eyes.’
- ‘Elie identifies the soldiers by the emblem on their helmets, the death's head.’
- ‘Curious school children often turn to some small shops selling plastic toys shaped like a spiderman or death's head in which a tiny amplifier is installed.’
- ‘Even more horrible was a big earthen jar in the middle of the courtyard, in which hung a white death's head along with some leg bones.’
- ‘A pirate flag with the president for a death's head went up in orange flames.’
- ‘The figure of the death's head has been a prominent symbol of human mortality and the vanity of life in Western culture.’
- ‘Her visions not only disrupt memory, but her very sense of self: when she looks in the mirror she sees a death's head rather than her own reflection.’
- ‘Seen in the Paris version of the show, these murky images of death's heads and Gothic windows affirmed a late Symbolist streak in Schad's work.’
- ‘Strict regulations govern the disposal of toxic materials, and we should be alert to the slow passing, in dead of night, of trains with death's heads stencilled on their wagons.’
- ‘Interestingly, there are also tombs, skeletons and death's heads, along with some shocking acts of violence.’
- ‘The lead tank had a death's head painted on the side.’
death's head/ˈde(TH)s ˈˌhed/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.