Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The removal of an amino group from an amino acid or other compound.
- ‘The liver, influenced by protein intake and anabolic need, makes urea from deamination of amino acids in the Krebs urea cycle.’
- ‘The earliest enzymatic functions are mostly linked to amino acid catabolism: deamination, transamination, and decarboxylation.’
- ‘The spontaneous deamination of cytosine is a frequent event.’
- ‘DNA bases are susceptible to hydrolytic deamination, although deamination is much less frequent in double-stranded compared to single-stranded DNA.’
- ‘Aspartate can also be formed by deamination of asparagine catalyzed by asparaginase.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.