One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A circular wooden block with a groove around the circumference to take a lanyard, used singly or in pairs to tighten a shroud.
- ‘Here we find deadeyes and pulleys still attached to the hull.’
- ‘Every plank and rib, deadeye and curb were built according to the detailed plans of Bombigher.’
- ‘But the greatest find of all was a half buried deadeye an important find on any sunken ship attached to the side of the vessel.’
- ‘In addition to these objects of women's interest, there are several tokens of men's concerns: a model of the ship Minerva, a deadeye, and a delicately carved game box.’
2North American informal An expert marksman.‘Chuck here is a deadeye’as modifier ‘a successful field goal requires a deadeye kick’
- ‘Two and a half years ago, as the primary complement to Garnett in the team's offensive sets, the deadeye shooter was proficient enough to be chosen to the NBA All-Star Team.’
- ‘Smith, on the other hand, is a deadeye marksman a step past his prime, requiring help from his teammates to get the space he needs to fire away.’
- ‘This wandering elf is a deadeye shot and accomplished woodsman.’
- ‘Who will forget Trent Bartlett's palm, pivot and deadeye shot on goal in that final quarter?’
- ‘Glen Rice was a proven 20-point scorer and a 3-point deadeye in Miami and Charlotte, but in both cases, he was the best scorer on the team, so he got his shots.’
- ‘The Nittany Lions have one of the best scorers in the game in junior deadeye Kelly Mazzante, who's never seen a shot she hasn't liked.’
- ‘His extraordinary 65.1% shooting was less a testament to his deadeye accuracy than it was his unwillingness to take a good shot when a teammate had a better one.’
- ‘Jones gives the Grizzlies another deadeye shooter, and he still can get to the basket at 34.’
- ‘Buechler is a smart, valuable role player, an excellent defender and, until this season, a deadeye jump shooter.’
- ‘Even reserve guard Dell Curry, not a day over 147 years old, remains a deadeye sniper.’
- ‘Imperial Storm Troopers are deadeyes compared to these clowns.’
- ‘G Anthony Roberson is a deadeye shooter and an explosive scorer.’
- ‘He's also a deadeye shooter from 3-point range and is not afraid to take big shots.’
- ‘On a night when his team needed goals to reach the quarter-finals, their lack of a deadeye striker cost them dear.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.