One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘He was dead to the world and would probably never know what he had done.’
- ‘I turned and saw that Andrew was also dead to the world.’
- ‘Ten minutes later, I was dead to the world yet again, buried deep beneath my warm comforter and cotton sheets.’
- ‘Those pills work fast; he'll be dead to the world in under ten minutes.’
- ‘For the hundredth time, she glances over to the bed, where Frank has been lying in a medicated sleep, dead to the world.’
- ‘Now he's snoozing peacefully, dead to the world.’
- ‘I know Logan falls asleep within 3 minutes because when I try to discuss things which bother me 4 minutes after turning off the light, he's dead to the world.’
- ‘Usually the pills knocked her out cold, leaving her dead to the world for hours - but this time it was different.’
- ‘My Grandma is usually in bed by eight thirty, dead to the world by eight forty five.’
- ‘I turn my back for a moment, and when I return, Terry is lying on the floor of the van in the foetal position, motionless and silent, dead to the world.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.