One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A temporary recovery in share prices after a substantial fall, caused by speculators buying in order to cover their positions.
recovery, upturn, improvement, revival, comeback, rebound, resurgence, renewal, a turn for the better, reactionView synonyms
- ‘I think I know what Wall Street would call that pitiful little burst of good economic news Bush was trumpeting, before the economy started tanking again: A dead cat bounce.’
- ‘Still trying to determine whether the ‘recovery’ of the stock market is either a dead cat bounce or perhaps numbers manipulated by the private organizations that the AmEx or NASDAQ are.’
- ‘Is this week's rally a dead cat bounce?’
- ‘With stock market bears calling last week's stock market surge just a dead-cat bounce, it sure seems to me that this cat has nine lives, 'cause the market seems poised for a Santa-Claus rally.’
- ‘Is the selling done, or are we just seeing a dead cat bounce this week?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.