Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Remove the alcohol from (a normally alcoholic drink)‘de-alcoholized beer’
- ‘Meanwhile, the genuine beer was produced in the same vats, but before it went through the de-alcoholizing process, it was pumped by underground pipes to bottling plants, sometimes miles away.’
- ‘To de-alcoholize a wine might be an option available to the winemaker.’
- ‘Alcohol-free and de-alcoholised drinks have about a third of the calories of their alcoholic equivalent.’
- ‘Is it due to modern technology, allowing winemakers to pick very late and then de-alcoholize the finished wine?’
- ‘So colorful, alcohol-free concoctions are part of the game plan, as is de-alcoholized wine and beer.’
- ‘The de-alcoholised wine and the flavour are then blended with the bulk of the wine to give a finished product at the desired ethanol content.’
- ‘Our alcohol-free and de-alcoholised wines and beers can also be enjoyed without fear of harming the unborn child.’
- ‘For your drivers to enjoy a glass of wine with their meal, we can now offer the following de-alcoholised wines, which are a long way removed from the early alcohol-free varieties.’
- ‘They installed expensive de-alcoholizing machinery and turned out a brand of ‘near beer’ that found popular favor from the very start.’
- ‘I'm sure the base wine was poor to start with, but the de-alcoholizing process made it worse.’
- ‘As a rule we've stopped sterile filtering and de-alcoholizing our wines, as doing so stripped them of flavor, structure, richness, and complex mouth feel.’
- ‘About five cheeseburgers later I was ready for the ER myself, so I grabbed a de-alcoholized beer and headed upstairs to watch some action.’
- ‘First, the de-alcoholizing process is intrusive and seems to damage the wine, even though the makers claim otherwise.’
- ‘We lower the level of alcohol by de-alcoholizing the wine.’
- ‘The goods in issue are red, white, rosé and sparkling de-alcoholized wines.’
- ‘Sparkling wines are the most popular de-alcoholized wines, but other varieties are also available.’
- ‘They then asked 5 men and 4 women, all healthy, to drink about a one-half cup of the de-alcoholised wine, with water added on one day and water and ethanol added on the other.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.