One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the People's Republic of China) a wall poster written in large characters.
notice, placard, public notice, bill, sign, advertisement, announcement, affiche, playbill, stickerView synonyms
- ‘One of the ‘four great rights’ in the 1975 state constitution was the right to write dazibao.’
- ‘Because of these unique characteristics dazibao represent one of the few effective vestiges of free speech that may be used to voice political dissent in China.’
- ‘During the past fifty years, the writing of big character posters (dazibao) has emerged as a principle form of political expression in the People's Republic of China.’
- ‘During the Cultural Revolution, he warned me, who every day went to post dazibao on the city walls.’
- ‘Moreover, buildings, squares and even pavements were covered in dazibao.’
Chinese, from dà ‘big’ + zi ‘character’ + bào ‘newspaper or poster’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.