Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in the People's Republic of China) a wall poster written in large characters.
notice, placard, public notice, bill, sign, advertisement, announcement, affiche, playbill, stickerView synonyms
- ‘Because of these unique characteristics dazibao represent one of the few effective vestiges of free speech that may be used to voice political dissent in China.’
- ‘One of the ‘four great rights’ in the 1975 state constitution was the right to write dazibao.’
- ‘During the past fifty years, the writing of big character posters (dazibao) has emerged as a principle form of political expression in the People's Republic of China.’
- ‘Moreover, buildings, squares and even pavements were covered in dazibao.’
- ‘During the Cultural Revolution, he warned me, who every day went to post dazibao on the city walls.’
Chinese, from dà big + zi character + bào newspaper or poster.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.