A lily that bears large yellow, red, or orange flowers, each flower lasting only one day.
- ‘The lawn bordering it was nothing to ogle at, but was certainly well kept, as were the day lilies that bordered the wide path.’
- ‘The day lilies in the ditch north of Five Corners are orange summer sentinels, fully at attention.’
- ‘Farther north along Highway E, day lilies are in bloom.’
- ‘But he always came at dusk, when the day lilies are going in, and the mothers call their children back home.’
- ‘I pushed open the little gate and walked into the dooryard with the neatly mown grass bordered by lilacs and peonies and day lilies…’
- ‘He is also noted as a gardener who has grown, among other things, 100 varieties of day lilies.’