One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Time as adjusted to achieve longer evening daylight in summer by setting the clocks an hour ahead of the standard time.
- ‘Every year traffic accidents temporarily increase following the switch to daylight saving time, when people in affected regions lose just one hour of sleep.’
- ‘Spring ahead in much of Canada and the United States, as daylight saving time returns at 2: 00 A.M. local time on Sunday, the 4th.’
- ‘Mars is visible as it rises from the east between 4: 30 and 5: 00 A.M. local daylight time.’
- ‘The plane took off from Guam shortly after 12: 30 p.m. U.S. eastern daylight saving time.’
- ‘The planes are all hijacked between 7.45 and 8.10 am eastern daylight time.’
- ‘Clocks were set forward to save energy in the winter of 1974, and daylight saving time lasted for eight months in 1975.’
- ‘To test for the economic effect of daylight saving time change we look at the first trading day following the transition to or from DST.’
- ‘He promised to institute daylight saving time to jump-start the economy.’
- ‘It should become visible again during the last week of July and the first week of August, rising between 4: 30 and 5: 00 A.M. local daylight time low in the east-northeast.’
- ‘This weekend Australians will be changing their clocks to daylight saving time, with the usual ensuing confusion.’
- ‘The company's top worldwide executives punch into a conference call that begins promptly at 7 AM central daylight time.’
- ‘Under the present law we have daylight time in October but not in March, even though the sun rises at similar times in both months.’
- ‘I can still read a newspaper outside at 23: 00 daylight saving time at this time of year, so this fake time feels quite unnecessary.’
- ‘I know we have adjusted for daylight saving time, but we can still work out that Parliament starts at 2 o'clock.’
- ‘Forget to set your clock for daylight saving time?’
- ‘After unsuccessfully campaigning against daylight saving time, drive-ins began losing patrons due to late starting times in summer.’
- ‘‘I dread the fall daylight saving time change,’ she says.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.