One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A laborer who is hired and paid on a daily basis.
- ‘Singleton's father toiled as a day laborer in the oil fields but frequently there was no work, so he came home early.’
- ‘Married to a day laborer and a mother of four in India, Sita faced the prospect of hunger every day.’
- ‘They might be your taxi driver, day labourer, nanny, or mechanic.’
- ‘I never knew my father; my mother was a day laborer, and we were dirt poor.’
- ‘A huddle of poky teashops serves the day labourers who congregate here in search of work.’
- ‘In 1970 he was hired as a day labourer for janitorial work in a nuclear power plant.’
- ‘Sekulic, a Croatian-born Serb, earned his living as a day labourer, agricultural worker, factory worker and bricklayer.’
- ‘In the United States, there aren't other opportunities for us but to be a day laborer.’
- ‘Manta's grandfather had arrived in this country from Greece in 1908 and began working as a day laborer, painting steel mills.’
- ‘In our country a successful beggar can earn more than a day laborer, because the tradition is to pay something to the beggars.’
- ‘Most are middle-aged or older men, many of whom are former day labourers in the construction industry.’
- ‘A day laborer is hired by the day, and a rainy day means a day's wages lost.’
- ‘He had been a day laborer at the shelter, hiring himself out for construction work on a daily basis.’
- ‘I've been able to survive as a day laborer for 13 years, but in the last two years, there just haven't been any more jobs.’
- ‘His short stints of gainful employment included work as a day laborer, pencil maker, and surveyor.’
- ‘Sugar mill workers are now being hired as day labourers and stripped of holidays and bonuses.’
- ‘Many live in squalid camps and eke out a living as day labourers.’
- ‘Within months, however, Boyle worked his way up from a day laborer into a loyal, salaried employee.’
- ‘Before joining the cooperative nearly a decade ago, Gitaben worked as a day laborer on a nearby ‘big’ farm.’
- ‘There are also the matters of informal work, day labourers, part-time workers, and terminating employment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.