Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A service which arranges or facilitates meetings between people seeking romantic partners.
- ‘If she was just looking for love, why didn't she try a local dating agency and date local men?’
- ‘According to recent statistics, in two years' time, 50% of people looking for a new relationship will use an online dating agency.’
- ‘I've decided to join an online dating agency as all my friends are married so no longer want to go out on the pull!’
- ‘It gives people the chance to meet potential partners they might rule at first glance if they saw a picture of them on the Internet or at a dating agency.’
- ‘We're not a dating agency, as such, but it does offer people the chance to meet and socialise in a very different environment on a Sunday.’
- ‘I've met 5 of my boyfriends via Internet dating agencies.’
- ‘Speed dating is a new phenomenon that is popular; dating agencies have full books and more and more people are going on blind dates.’
- ‘Lonely Hearts is a romantic comedy about a lonely middle-aged piano tuner who joins a dating agency where he meets and falls in love with an extremely shy 30-year-old woman.’
- ‘Darren Richards set up an internet dating agency because he was single and wanted to find a girlfriend.’
- ‘A married couple in Jordan who had separated and were living apart, both joined an online dating agency and ended up finding each other.’
- ‘I joined a dating agency and went out on a load of dates that didn't work out.’
- ‘In January 1994, he and a business partner set up a dating agency for executives and, just a few months later, followed that with the formation of head-hunting firm MGM International.’
- ‘While not a dating agency, the club provides the opportunity for singles and separated to meet and enjoy social outings.’
- ‘Blind dates fixed up by well-meaning friends can be a pain, if not a disaster, and making contact through a dating agency can be a bit intense.’
- ‘Matchmaker Mrs Hughes, who in time hopes to start up a dating agency, has now aimed her arrows at Swindon and is planning an event towards the end of this month or the beginning of May.’
- ‘With the Internet's more personal feel, using a dating service on-line may prove a little less embarrassing than the more traditional dating agencies.’
- ‘Single people have more of a chance of meeting their perfect match thanks to a new dating agency in Swindon, if you've got the money.’
- ‘Dateline, one of the UK's longest established dating agencies, said teaching tops the list of professions who use lonely hearts services.’
- ‘Hart and his wife Elaine, 38, remained on good terms, but at a loose end he had placed an advert on an Internet dating agency site.’
- ‘About three years ago, after having been widowed, I met a Hindu man through a dating agency.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.