One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Able to be dated to a particular time.
- ‘The small but precious Psalter in Vienna, datable to about 795, written entirely in gold letters, is known commonly as the Dagulf Psalter, for its chief scribe includes his name in one of the dedicatory poems, written in letters of gold.’
- ‘We still don't know for certain who took them, nor have I been able to find dateable pictures of Salts chimney with a hoist at the side to find out if Levi Firth could have been the photographer.’
- ‘Asbell's drawings reinforce the tactility of the catalogue itself, its wealth of palpable evidence in the form of different, datable typewriter fonts, handwritten notations and alterations.’
- ‘We now need to carry out detailed explorations and searches for datable antiquities and inscriptional evidences on the finds.’
- ‘The blue-and-white London delftware punch bowl shown in Plate IV beam a floral sprig on the interior, and, because of its deep profile, is datable to between about 1715 and 1730.’
- ‘In a print by Hans Holbein the Younger, datable probably to the 1530s, Erasmus stands behind a bust of Terminus, the scholar and the sculpture framed by an arch supported by herms of mature men.’
- ‘In about 1426 Binchois joined the Burgundian court of Philip the Good, and one of his few datable works is the motet Nove cantum melodie for the baptism of the Burgundian Prince Anthoine in January 1431.’
- ‘Eight bout coupé-style handaxes, datable to 59-40,000 years ago, were found with the remains of three or possibly four mammoths, including a number of huge teeth and 2m-long tusks.’
- ‘The thirty-strong drawings that will be on display, datable from c.1560 to 1894, include a large Nativity scene by Francois Boucher, and a delicate pen and ink rendition of Susanna and the Elders by Friedrich Sustris.’
- ‘So these documented items, sometimes datable to an exact year, provide information with regards to form, pattern, motif and colour palette that can be applied both to export wares and to Qing dynasty porcelain more generally.’
- ‘Individual sites may be named or renamed at different periods, but the process, according to the author, goes back at least to the earliest datable Arthurian source, the ninth-century Historia Brittonum.’
- ‘A beautiful and highly accurate series of drawings, datable to the winter of 1510-11, concentrate on the mechanics of the osteological and myological systems.’
- ‘The last datable examples of ancient Egyptian writing are found on the island of Philae, where a hieroglyphic temple inscription was carved in AD 394 and where a piece of demotic graffiti has been dated to 450 AD.’
- ‘Several thirteenth-century painted crucifixes - of which an example in the church of S Chiara, Assisi, datable to c.1260, may be the earliest - represent the saint as a tiny figure, clasping Christ's feet.’
- ‘Between 600 BC and the Roman incursions at the end of the 1st century ad, clearly datable artefacts are harder to identify, but it seems probable that at least some of the visible ramparts belong to this period.’
- ‘While most scholars agree that the style of The Water Mill is typical of the early Northern Song court, datable to the late tenth to early eleventh century, many fundamental questions remain.’
- ‘The datable artifacts indicated that the site may have been occupied as early as the 1670s and that it fell out of use by the middle of the eighteenth century, apparently not long after Uring's visit.’
- ‘She concluded that there are dating problems at many sites and that carbonized rice grains rarely have been recovered and documented from datable prehistoric contexts.’
- ‘Correlating the ratios showed that the vermillion in the western Japanese burial mounds originated in China, whereas the vermillion in the central Japanese mounds - datable to the time of the Yamato kingdom - was local.’
- ‘The dating, based on comparisons with datable mines in France, Italy, Portugal, Spain and Romania, suggests that British Iron Age jewellery may have been largely home-made rather than imported from the Continent as previously thought.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.