One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Software that handles the storage, retrieval, and updating of data in a computer system.
- ‘Usually a digital library system with a large volume of data will apply database management systems to manage its bibliographic records, digital objects and Web links.’
- ‘MySQL is the most widely used open source database management system worldwide.’
- ‘Information flow can be reduced by selecting the information that is important in processes and eliminating the rest, and by effectively using group support and database management systems.’
- ‘XML databases require all the elements that you would expect from a database management system: a query and transaction language; a way to build indices and data structures; and interfaces for other applications.’
- ‘In the first phase of the project, data for - 1,300 taxa and - 3,800 images are currently being entered into a relational database management system on an IBM RS6000 at the University of Iowa.’
- ‘SPIRES (initially, Stanford Physics Information Retrieval System, then Stanford Public Information Retrieval System) database management system was the product of brilliant programmers at Stanford.’
- ‘The MySQL database is a high-performance relational database management system for Web site and business application development and deployment.’
- ‘VDS Object Database, now in its 6th generation, is the industry's only truly scalable, enterprise-capable object database management system.’
- ‘Over the last few years increasing numbers of web sites have begun to integrate a relational database management system.’
- ‘The company's web-enabled Oracle9i database management system has more than 9,000 users worldwide.’
- ‘PROGEN is a Java application that accesses and maintains a relational database management system.’
- ‘The system proposed must be fully internet-enabled, run on a Wintel infrastructure, operate on a relational database management system, and support laboratory best practice.’
- ‘According to Gartner Research, IBM is the leading vendor of database management system software based on new licence revenue last year.’
- ‘The responsibility of a multilevel secure database management system is to assure that each user gains access, directly or indirectly, to only the data for which he or she has proper clearance.’
- ‘The potential for data mining received a boost when businesses started storing data in data warehouses - a relational database management system designed specifically to meet analytical requirements.’
- ‘Most database management systems include tools to insure the integrity of the data they control.’
- ‘Indexing methods are used extensively by database management systems to provide fast query processing for users.’
- ‘We entered data into a relational database management system in Microsoft SQL server 7.0, which also incorporated intrafield and interfield constraints.’
- ‘PostgreSQL is an advanced multiuser, relational database management system distributed freely along with its source code.’
- ‘We then established a Web-accessible version using open source software Postgre SQL, which includes an object relational database management system.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.