A hyrax, especially the rock hyrax of southern Africa.
- ‘Some of these dassies, these hyraxes, went into the rocks, but this one actually climbs into the treetops.’
- ‘They have observed that when caracal numbers in their region are moderate, that there is an increase in natural prey animals such as hares, steenbok and dassies.’
- ‘Mountain rhebuck, duiker, jackal, mongoose, porcupine and dassie now live in the Reserve.’
- ‘Back at the campsite, spotted hyenas and dassies can be seen at dusk and into the night.’
- ‘The fur of a dassie rat is soft and silky, but there is no underfur.’
Late 18th century: from Afrikaans, from South African Dutch dasje, diminutive of Dutch das badger.