One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device for damping shock or vibration.
- ‘This step keeps the hook from slamming to the deck and possibly chipping a good hook point; however, this time, we decided to service the dashpot before we dropped the hook.’
- ‘The measured rheological features were not consistent with simple linear viscoelastic models based on a combination of a discrete number of springs and dashpots.’
- ‘At sufficiently large frequencies, the dashpots become nonresponsive, and the force division becomes entirely dictated by the springs.’
- ‘Such components can include simple springs, dampers, dashpots, masses, latches, bearings, non-linear potential and dissipative fields, or any other imaginable component.’
- ‘We have investigated the sensitivity of the resulting deformations to various model parameters including the spring constants, the dashpot coefficient of viscosity, and the oscillatory flow frequency.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.