Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A darning needle.
- ‘Cotton Darner Needles are long embroidery-type needles for mending, soft sculpture and doll making. For heavier needles with a larger eye, see yarn darners.’
- ‘Darners are long needles used for basting and darning with cotton.’
2A large slender-bodied dragonfly.
- ‘A green darner dragonfly is fitted with a tiny radio tag to help scientists study its migration.’
- ‘Common green darners (Anax junius) are large, strong flying dragonflies. Their average body size is three inches long.’
- ‘Darners and other large dragonflies often emerge at night, when they are safer from predators.’
- ‘Green darners are one of nine long-distance migratory dragonflies in North America.’
- ‘Green darners are large, showy dragonflies with silvery iridescent wings.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.