One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A darning needle.
- ‘Cotton Darner Needles are long embroidery-type needles for mending, soft sculpture and doll making. For heavier needles with a larger eye, see yarn darners.’
- ‘Darners are long needles used for basting and darning with cotton.’
2A large slender-bodied dragonfly.
- ‘Green darners are large, showy dragonflies with silvery iridescent wings.’
- ‘Green darners are one of nine long-distance migratory dragonflies in North America.’
- ‘A green darner dragonfly is fitted with a tiny radio tag to help scientists study its migration.’
- ‘Darners and other large dragonflies often emerge at night, when they are safer from predators.’
- ‘Common green darners (Anax junius) are large, strong flying dragonflies. Their average body size is three inches long.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.