One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A room from which normal light is excluded, used for developing photographs.
- ‘Then he again disappeared into the darkroom to develop the plate.’
- ‘I recently constructed a new darkroom and built one of these UV exposure units into it.’
- ‘Many years ago I experimented with black & white photography in the darkroom.’
- ‘The glossy whiteness, cast with the yellow or red of the darkroom's safelight, begins to stir with a vague smoky shadow.’
- ‘I also made color separation negatives from color transparencies by enlarging in the darkroom.’
- ‘Complete darkroom and printing facilities are available for the entire workshop.’
- ‘A boy develops photographs in the school darkroom.’
- ‘Elias is taking pictures for a class project, and stops off at the darkroom to do some developing before heading out to shoot some more.’
- ‘Bathed in the red glow of the darkroom safelight, Ian McDonald was staring hard at a ruined photograph.’
- ‘From one darkroom with one developing tank, the new lab now had three darkrooms on site.’
- ‘By refining the image in the darkroom, a photographer can make the same image appear dark and moody or light and airy.’
- ‘She then opened the door and stepped back into the dim red light of the darkroom.’
- ‘Holding the dripping print in her hand Tang left the darkroom to see it in the white lights.’
- ‘In a darkroom floating in a bath of developer an image slowly materializes.’
- ‘The paper still shoots film - black-and-white film - at a time when digital cameras have made darkrooms quaint.’
- ‘He had learnt from Man Ray how to enhance effects by manipulating images in the darkroom, and he cropped and retouched until each print was ready lot reproduction.’
- ‘If I could have my own darkroom, I'd develop my own film and print my work myself.’
- ‘I said that darkrooms were being closed in droves and that the industry trend was clearly digital.’
- ‘Her class had been working in the darkroom, developing their pictures.’
- ‘Then it was straight off to the darkroom to run off photographs of our esteemed educators in various sizes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.