Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Tourism directed to places that are identified with death and suffering.‘next time we shall be investigating dark tourism at Chernobyl, the site of the world's worst nuclear reactor disaster’
- ‘Traveling to the scene of a tragedy is also called dark tourism and the people who do it are said to be jumping on the grief bandwagon.’
- ‘If you have ever been to the world war battlefields in northern France, a Holocaust museum or even a military cemetery, then you've participated - perhaps unknowingly - in dark tourism.’
- ‘He suggests people might engage in dark tourism to redress this balance - to explore the meaning of their own mortality and to indulge their curiosity about death in a socially acceptable public context.’
- ‘If you've ever had the desire to visit a battlefield or some other location where death and tragedy occurred that's a type of traveling called "dark tourism."’
- ‘I am currently writing an article on 'dark tourism' and ecocide.’
- ‘What are the motivations of these consumers of 'dark tourism'?’
- ‘He presented his research into dark tourism at the symposium and said he found the event very useful.’
- ‘'Dark tourism', as it's been dubbed, is on the increase, as people around the world fight to ensure the sins of the past are not forgotten.’
- ‘I have just been reading research suggesting that there is a kind of "dark tourism" associated with attendance at such services.’
- ‘The JFK tour is the latest example of 'dark tourism', a new and growing phenomenon that is beginning to attract academic concern.’
- ‘We don't want to be just about 'dark tourism', we also want to show off Bethlehem's assets and its 4,000-year history.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.