Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a person) having brown or black skin.‘a black-haired, dark-complexioned man’
- ‘Joseph Matkin, a short dark-complexioned lad with dark hair and pale blue eyes that missed nothing on their long trip around the world, was the ship's steward's assistant.’
- ‘He wears an Eagles cap every day single day, framing the broad face that still reflects the dark-complexioned handsomeness he brought north from Honduras so many years ago.’
- ‘Due to the risk of permanent discoloration, this technique is not recommended for dark-complexioned individuals.’
- ‘It is an autobiographical satire whose neurotic, dark-skinned protagonist, Emma Lou Morgan, internalizes biases against dark-complexioned people after a midwestern upbringing by colorstruck relatives mimicking racist societal values.’
- ‘Morton was dark-complexioned and sallow, and of a retiring, shy, and sensitive nature.’
- ‘The idea of Spanish origin for dark-complexioned folk is common to various parts of the British Isles.’
- ‘A tall, dark-complexioned, and handsome man, with a slender figure and impeccable manners, Long was particularly successful in gaining a large female clientele.’
- ‘The next sonnets, 127-52, are known as the 'Dark Lady' group, addressed to or concerned with an unfashionably dark-haired, dark-eyed, and dark-complexioned mistress.’
- ‘Wanting to provide Annie with a dark-complexioned sibling and always having wanted a biological child of their own, they next decided that Kathy would bear a child and carefully chose a Black male donor from Panama.’
- ‘Due to harsh summers there, they are also dark-complexioned.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.