One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A male ballet dancer.
- ‘Her real debut will be Swan Lake, with Royal Danish danseur Johan Kobborg, now with the Royal Ballet, as her partner.’
- ‘As a youth, he began his training in classical Eastern and Western dance and in the disciplines of yoga, becoming the premier danseur of the San Francisco Ballet by age 19.’
- ‘When he was a student, Kudelka had the advantage of working with Erik Bruhn, who, as both dancer and company director, pursued a mission to redirect the audience's gaze from the ballerina towards the male danseur.’
- ‘Since then, she's polished all international reputation, partnering with such danseurs as Carlos Acosta, lose Manuel Carreno, and Giuseppe Picone, and winning enthusiastic critical praise.’
- ‘She has performed every kind of role, worked with choreographers from A to Z, and danced alongside a string of impressive danseurs.’
- ‘In 1816 a permanent corps de ballet was established at the Théâtre de la Monnaie opera house in Brussels; in 1819 Jean-Antoine Petipa was hired as premier danseur and ballet master.’
- ‘The late Erik Bruhn, premier danseur and former artistic director of the National Ballet of Canada, posthumously endowed a competition to encourage promising young dancers.’
- ‘Ben Stevenson's award was presented on behalf of the magazine by Ivan Nagy, a leading danseur in his time and more recently artistic director of the English National Ballet, Cincinnati Ballet and Ballet de Santiago in Chile.’
- ‘In the back of the house is Vladimir Vasiliev, creator of some of the Bolshoi Ballet's most unforgettable memories as a premier danseur and now the general and artistic director of the Bolshoi Theater.’
- ‘She even formed an American touring troupe with the distinguished George Washington Smith, America's first, and aptly named, premier danseur, who taught ballet in Philadelphia until his death in 1899.’
French, from danser ‘to dance’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.