Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Disagreeably damp, musty, and typically cold.
damp, musty, chilly, clammy, wet, moist, unaired, moisture-laden, humidView synonyms
- ‘He reached the bottom and choked on the dank musty smell that greeted him.’
- ‘I wrinkle my nose at the dank, putrid smell that is polluting the room.’
- ‘They were in the belly of the ship and they were dank and crowded and smelled to high heavens of unwashed bodies and human waste.’
- ‘I tear past him when the door swings open, suddenly high by the scent of dank, musty, old house.’
- ‘It was a dank, cold room, not particularly large, and it smelled stale and old.’
- ‘A slightly dank scent filled my nose, the scent of our musty room in the morning, and I coughed quietly.’
- ‘We see him living in his dank, smelly, garbage-infested cave high on Mt. Crumpit.’
- ‘She inhaled deeply, enjoying the wet, dank smell outside compared to the strange smell inside.’
- ‘A smell of dampness struck me as I stepped into a narrow entrance hall, cold and dank.’
- ‘Yes, the cell she was in was dank and smelly but it wasn't too cold.’
- ‘It smelt dank and musty, like a cave which the sea entered regularly.’
- ‘He had a dank odor about him like the smell of a wild animal's den.’
- ‘Lynx could feel a presence getting stronger and stronger, but no warmth was carried from it on the breeze, just a musty stench like dank seaweed and carcasses.’
- ‘The dank smell of sterile cleaning products lay heavily upon her nostrils as she tried to recognize just where she was.’
- ‘As he opened the door, a dank musky air hit them full force, and both of them reeled back visibly from the smell and sight of the room.’
Middle English: probably of Scandinavian origin and related to Swedish dank marshy spot.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.