One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Comply completely with someone's demands and wishes.
- ‘He not only held the finalists in a trance, but also the audience that comprised students and teachers dancing to his tune.’
- ‘He has the world's only superpower dancing to his tune.’
- ‘You elected them and they should dance to your tune if they want to secure another term in office.’
- ‘Our freedom to use what is ours is being taken away from us unless we dance to their tune and pay up.’
- ‘I denied vigorously that we were dancing to their tune - I protested that I was acting only in the long-term interests of the BBC.’
- ‘Movies that are truly great are group efforts where everybody adds something, not just everybody dancing to the director 's tune.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.