One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Comply completely with someone's demands and wishes.
- ‘Our freedom to use what is ours is being taken away from us unless we dance to their tune and pay up.’
- ‘He not only held the finalists in a trance, but also the audience that comprised students and teachers dancing to his tune.’
- ‘I denied vigorously that we were dancing to their tune - I protested that I was acting only in the long-term interests of the BBC.’
- ‘Movies that are truly great are group efforts where everybody adds something, not just everybody dancing to the director 's tune.’
- ‘You elected them and they should dance to your tune if they want to secure another term in office.’
- ‘He has the world's only superpower dancing to his tune.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.