Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Any of ten degrees of advanced proficiency in judo or karate.
- ‘One day a man who had perhaps a 5th dan in judo came to the dojo and Yukawa was told to practice with him.’
- ‘In the days before Kano created Judo, there was no kyu / dan ranking system in the martial arts.’
- ‘He had a fourth or fifth dan in karate and was extremely strong.’
- ‘The preceding autumn at the Great Kodokan Red and White Match I had been lucky enough to break away from my group and advance to the third dan.’
- ‘He gave me a 6th dan and told me to go to the office to get the certificate!’
- ‘The headmaster has awarded a third dan to Mr. Alain Floquet of France.’
- ‘Eventually those who receive kyu and dan rankings as a result of the popularization of Aikido will end up at Hombu.’
- ‘In effect, the first person to register with the government ‘wins,’ but they end up having people with only 1st dans having the authority to issue dan rankings to others.’
- ‘The belt indicates Fukuda has reached the ninth dan level in judo.’
- ‘In fact some of today's most well-known teachers were skipped one or two dans during aikido's early years.’
- ‘He was the founder or ‘Shihan’ and his was the responsibility to authorize his pupils' dans.’
- ‘Takahashi Sensei had dan rankings in aikido, kendo and judo and was very much an inspiration to me in my early years.’
- ‘We require a certain number of practice hours and a test for promotion to kyu and dan ranks.’
- ‘Graeson, who holds a 10th dan black belt in jujitsu, and Chang, holder of an eighth dan karate black belt, were the foremost members of the Kitwe judo club.’
- ‘Later he was awarded his seventh dan in the organization.’
- ‘There is no evidence that Funakoshi himself had ranking in any budo under the dan / kyu system.’
- ‘For example, who would come out on top if fifth dans in judo and karate were to match skills?’
- ‘So there are a good many people who stop coming completely after they get their dan.’
- ‘He holds a 2nd dan in aikido and studies at the Northeast Aikikai, Chelmsford, MA.’
- ‘He joined the highly-touted Waseda Judo Club, advancing to the rank of fourth dan by his senior year.’
- 1.1A person who has achieved a dan in judo or karate.
- ‘He is a first dan in Tae Kwon Do and a second dan in Shotokan karate.’
- ‘He is currently a 7th dan shihan and teaches aikido at the Aikikai Hombu Dojo.’
- ‘His system of Judo is fully described in his book My Method of Judo written when he was a 7th dan and published in English in 1955.’
- ‘His successor was one of Kawai's students named Makoto Nishida, now a 6th dan.’
- ‘He was a 6th dan in both aikido and judo, and he came over to England in around 1958 or 59 to teach judo.’
- ‘One day, a 6th dan Karate teacher came to the dojo with an introduction from an acquaintance and challenged me to a match.’
- ‘Mwitwa expressed happiness at the team that is being drilled by Japanese Judo expert sensei Hosui Sakaki, a seventh dan, saying they had responded well to the training.’
- ‘He left an entourage of 9th dans, 8th dans and a few recently promoted 10th dans.’
- ‘He went to Hawaii as a 5th dan where he opened a dojo and has taught Aikido to several thousand Hawaiians.’
- ‘One day a navy man confronted me, a person said to be a 7th dan holder in Kendo.’
- ‘For Hinton is a fourth dan in aikido, a Japanese martial art which puts emphasis on self-belief and inner focus.’
- ‘The young 5th and 6th dans for fun prepared themselves to fight.’
- ‘Even many of the third dans had progressed so far ahead of me that they could throw me all over the place.’
- ‘Richard, a black belt second dan, took up the martial art of shotokan after being bullied in junior school, and found it boosted his confidence.’
- ‘Six, seven, and eighth dans wear a sectioned red-and-white belt, while ninth and tenth grades wear a solid red belt.’
- ‘At a recent judo clinic I attended, eighty-year old 10th dan Phil Porter told us we would achieve that when we had done a technique ‘ten thousand times’!’
- ‘Today, the 23-year-old second dan will be competing with the best in the world in one of the most esoteric martial arts on the planet.’
- ‘Chris Pate, a black belt first dan in Amayo Kai karate, has already smashed his way through 50 concrete blocks and last year fended off a Samurai attack by his wife in a thrilling demonstration of martial arts.’
- ‘'Now he is a second dan and a black belt degree holder,’ said Silvi.’
- ‘There was a man called Mr. Nagasaki who was a 4th dan in Judo and he was also thrown easily.’
1940s: from Japanese.
A small marker buoy with a lightweight flagpole.
- ‘To stop the dan buoys being pushed over by tide and wind, a smaller buoy called a "tide buff" is attached between the tow and the main dan buoy.’
- ‘The short first beat to a dan buoy near the Steamboat Museum gave an indication of unpredictable conditions.’
- ‘Four anchored dan buoys with radar transponders provided navigational control for the greater part of the survey.’
- ‘Sunday brought a strong easterly wind and a course was set in the north lake with a start near FBA south to a dan buoy near Roughholme Island.’
- ‘The starting line outer distance mark will be either a dan-buoy or a boat ... Finishing marks will be a race committee boat and an orange dan-buoy.’
Late 17th century: of unknown origin.
1(in the Bible) a Hebrew patriarch, son of Jacob and Bilhah.
- 1.1The tribe of Israel traditionally descended from him.
- 1.2An ancient town in the north of Canaan, where the tribe of Dan settled. It marked the northern limit of the ancient Hebrew kingdom of Israel.
- 1.1The tribe of Israel traditionally descended from him.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.