Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A slender long-legged bug that is a predator of other insects.
- ‘The nabids (damsel bugs) and the minute pirate bugs are generalist predators of soft-bodied insects.’
- ‘Nabids or damsel bugs are pale tan to gray insects about 3/8 inch long.’
- ‘Be a little careful with damsel bugs because they are predators and can give a painful bite to big and small alike.’
- ‘Adults of the western damsel bug, N. alternatus, begin emerging in May or early June.’
- ‘Adult damsel bugs do resemble plant bugs somewhat in general body shape, but are more slender.’
- ‘Several species of spiders, damsel bugs and predatory stink bugs kill young larvae.’
- ‘The most common damsel bugs are are pale yellow to brown with well developed wings - genus Nabis is common throughout the United States.’
- ‘Beneficials such as big-eyed bugs, damsel bugs, spiders, and minute pirate bugs should be moving into fields that are starting to square.’
- ‘More common, but less frequently observed, are the various light brown damsel bugs, also called nabid bugs.’
- ‘Other piercing-sucking predators include several species each of big-eyed bugs, damsel bugs and minute pirate bugs.’
- ‘Although damsel bugs are predators, they are sometimes prey for spiders, assassin bugs, birds, and other creatures.’
- ‘Predators that help control lygus bugs, big-eyed bugs, damsel bugs, assassin bugs, and crab spiders are the major predators of lygus bugs which are found in alfalfa seed fields.’
- ‘The damsel bug, preys on soft-bodied insects such as aphids, jassids, caterpillars and moth and butterfly eggs.’
- ‘The damsel bug, Nabis kinbergii Reuter inserts its eggs singly into soft plant tissues so that the circular emergence caps protrude above the surface.’
- ‘Other beneficials include damsel bugs, ground beetles, hover flies and beneficial nematodes.’
- ‘The damsel bugs are small yellowish to brownish insects with prominent eyes.’
- ‘The two species of Nabid that are common in cotton fields are the damsel bug and pale damsel bug.’
- ‘There are several common natural factors that may reduce greenbug survival, including parasitic wasps, lady beetles, damsel bugs, syrphid fly larvae, green lacewing larvae, diseases and the weather.’
- ‘The highest populations of big-eyed bugs and damsel bugs were only 0.4 per sweep.’
- ‘Adult damsel bugs spend the winter in groundcover and winter crops such as winter grain and alfalfa.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.