Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant disease occurring in excessively damp conditions, in particular the collapse and death of young seedlings as a result of a fungal infection.→ damping
- ‘Brown, water-soaked stems and yellow, wilted leaves are the primary symptoms of post-emergence damping-off.’
- ‘Fumigate or heat-sterilize the soil to prevent the growth of damping-off fungi during early seedling growth.’
- ‘Seed treatment with metalaxyl or use of Phytophthora-resistant varieties reduces seedling damping-off and improves stands.’
- ‘Apron is a systemic fungicide for controlling seedling damping-off diseases caused by Pythium and Phytophthora during the first four weeks after seeding.’
- ‘The one notable exception to this is the use of fungicide seed treatment on alfalfa for control of seedling damping-off caused by Phytophthora.’
- ‘Pre-emergence and post-emergence damping-off caused by fungi is most common in poorly drained, cold soils.’
- ‘Watering from the bottom directs the water to the root zone and prevents puddling on the soil surface, which could lead to damping-off.’
- ‘Phytophthora specific fungicide seed treatments are available to help prevent loss of stands due to seedling damping-off.’
- ‘Not only will controlling your watering help to prevent fungus gnats, it will prevent the second most common problem, damping-off.’
- ‘It is often recommended to use a sterilized, soil-free starter mix to prevent diseases such as damping-off from taking hold of tender seedlings.’
- ‘There are also specially formulated products on the market that can be applied to the surface of the soil when you are planting seeds that will help stop damping-off from developing.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.