Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A city in northwestern Georgia; population 33,648 (est. 2008)
A unit used in expressing the molecular weight of proteins, equivalent to atomic mass unit.
- ‘Lepirudin is composed of 65 or 66 amino acids and has a molecular weight of 7000 daltons.’
- ‘Determination of the mass spectrum of LCP-J8 resulted in a calculated molecular weight of 14,158.45 daltons.’
- ‘Molecular weights of protein standards are shown in daltons.’
- ‘Sterically unhindered because its molecular weight is 527 daltons, Argatroban neutralizes the active serine catalytic site of both free and bound thrombin.’
- ‘These proteins allow diffusion of ions and even large molecules of the size of several hundred daltons.’
1930s: named after John Dalton(see Dalton, John).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.