Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cocktail containing rum and lime juice.
- ‘Steeped in local history, this slightly sweet liquor, made from sugarcane or molasses (a by-product of sugar refining), gives daiquiris and pina coladas their kick.’
- ‘In the evening there's a whole host of alcoholic beverages to sample, from sangria to daiquiris.’
- ‘It's a beautiful place, with lots of sun, sand, daiquiris, and exotic delights for those who can pay in dollars.’
- ‘No matter what time of year you go to Cuba there will be music and wonderful cocktails - Cuba Libres, daiquiris and mojitos - based on the island's native rum.’
- ‘We have been offered cigars and rum and although it is impossible to not drink several daiquiris in the evening I couldn't drink rum during the day.’
- ‘The classics - daiquiris, Martinis and mojitos - are still the grand masters.’
- ‘There are three bars to sidle up to and pro circuit barmen who'll build you any cocktail fantasy from the daiquiri to the iced tea.’
- ‘The fruity daiquiris certainly go down a treat, and if you want a little more adventure, try a sour cocktail.’
- ‘He also came to appreciate its cocktails - his favourites were daiquiris and mojitos - and the gregarious nature of its people.’
- ‘Bar staff specialise in daiquiris and martinis and if you listen carefully you can hear the lions roar in the Jo'burg zoo below.’
- ‘We tried daiquiris at El Floridita where they were invented, and mojitos (made of rum, lemon juice, sugar, water and mint) sitting at the Cafe de Paris.’
- ‘Hunter ordered two daiquiris and two banana splits.’
- ‘Those of appropriate age ordered a variety of alcoholic drinks such as daiquiris and margaritas, and the rest of us, underage, settled on virgin margaritas or sodas.’
- ‘Their drink menu also features two frozen Bellinis (peach and strawberry) along with those classic favorites: daiquiris and frozen margaritas.’
- ‘You are free to be bored, to lounge away the afternoon drinking daiquiris by the pool.’
- ‘Ariel has beer, I have soda, and I got a daiquiri for you.’
- ‘Your mom and I had a few daiquiris after the discussion.’
- ‘The bar will offer specialty drinks including margaritas, frozen daiquiris, rum punch, as well as a limited food and snack menu.’
- ‘Sure, passengers are still able to partake in strawberry daiquiris and decadent desserts, but a cruise ship actually provides many ways to stay healthy, on-board massages being one example.’
- ‘She plans parties, shops and has daiquiris with her girlfriends.’
Named after Daiquirí, a rum-producing district in Cuba.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.