One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tuberous-rooted Mexican plant of the daisy family, which is cultivated for its brightly colored single or double flowers.
Genus Dahlia, family Compositae
- ‘The garden is full of marigolds, pansies, dahlias, primulas and nasturtiums, as well as shrub roses and climbers.’
- ‘Very fancy fences can be created from tall flowering annuals such as cleome, cosmos, dahlias, sweet peas and sunflowers for a display of spring, summer and autumn colour.’
- ‘Store bulbs and tubers of begonias, caladiums, cannas, dahlias, and gladioli in a cool, dry place until March, when they can be started indoors.’
- ‘The pillars were adorned in an exceedingly tasteful manner with vases of various flowers including dahlias, sunflowers and chrysanthemums and long trails of ivy and coloured creeper.’
- ‘Stake and support dahlias, gladioli, chrysanthemums and other top-heavy border plants.’
- ‘Don't overlook summer-blooming callas, dahlias and cannas.’
- ‘Although David follows these steps with tuberous begonias, they work for other tender bulbs, such as cannas, gladioli and dahlias.’
- ‘Her diary also contains numerous references to the bulbs, geraniums, hollyhocks, and dahlias that she planted, tended, and appreciated.’
- ‘For years I planted carrots among the roses, giant marrows and dahlias, and daffodils and daisies interspersed with broccoli and artichokes.’
- ‘Non-hardy bulbs, such as cannas, dahlias, and gladiolus, should be removed from the ground.’
- ‘Replace fading cool-season annuals with heat lovers like celosias, dahlias, marigolds, petunias, salvias, and verbenas.’
- ‘For late-summer color, plant begonias, dahlias, gladiolus, montbretia, and tigridia.’
- ‘Container gardens are also perfect for perennials, annuals, and summer bulbs such as lilies or dahlias.’
- ‘Start begonias, caladiums, callas, cannas, and dahlias in pots indoors on a sunny windowsill.’
- ‘Don't forget the flower beds - plant dahlias and gladioli now.’
- ‘When not chatting we could gaze at the colourful display of flowers, dahlias, geraniums, hibiscus and of course enjoy the delicious cakes and refreshments.’
- ‘For added summer color, Shari tucks tall ageratum, ‘Bluebird’ nemesia, calibrachoa, dahlias, and impatiens between the shrubs.’
- ‘Summer-flowering bulbs such as dahlias, begonias and anemones bring variety, texture, unique color and long flowering times to summer gardens.’
- ‘Last year I underestimated the growth of my hostas and planted dahlias somewhere in their vicinity.’
- ‘After the first frost has killed back the foliage, dig and store tender perennial bulbs such as dahlias and gladiolus that can't survive the winter in the ground in a cold climate.’
Modern Latin, named in honor of Andreas Dahl (1751–89), Swedish botanist.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.