One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tuberous-rooted Mexican plant of the daisy family, which is cultivated for its brightly colored single or double flowers.
- ‘Don't forget the flower beds - plant dahlias and gladioli now.’
- ‘Replace fading cool-season annuals with heat lovers like celosias, dahlias, marigolds, petunias, salvias, and verbenas.’
- ‘Very fancy fences can be created from tall flowering annuals such as cleome, cosmos, dahlias, sweet peas and sunflowers for a display of spring, summer and autumn colour.’
- ‘Non-hardy bulbs, such as cannas, dahlias, and gladiolus, should be removed from the ground.’
- ‘For years I planted carrots among the roses, giant marrows and dahlias, and daffodils and daisies interspersed with broccoli and artichokes.’
- ‘When not chatting we could gaze at the colourful display of flowers, dahlias, geraniums, hibiscus and of course enjoy the delicious cakes and refreshments.’
- ‘After the first frost has killed back the foliage, dig and store tender perennial bulbs such as dahlias and gladiolus that can't survive the winter in the ground in a cold climate.’
- ‘Store bulbs and tubers of begonias, caladiums, cannas, dahlias, and gladioli in a cool, dry place until March, when they can be started indoors.’
- ‘For late-summer color, plant begonias, dahlias, gladiolus, montbretia, and tigridia.’
- ‘Summer-flowering bulbs such as dahlias, begonias and anemones bring variety, texture, unique color and long flowering times to summer gardens.’
- ‘Container gardens are also perfect for perennials, annuals, and summer bulbs such as lilies or dahlias.’
- ‘Last year I underestimated the growth of my hostas and planted dahlias somewhere in their vicinity.’
- ‘The pillars were adorned in an exceedingly tasteful manner with vases of various flowers including dahlias, sunflowers and chrysanthemums and long trails of ivy and coloured creeper.’
- ‘Although David follows these steps with tuberous begonias, they work for other tender bulbs, such as cannas, gladioli and dahlias.’
- ‘For added summer color, Shari tucks tall ageratum, ‘Bluebird’ nemesia, calibrachoa, dahlias, and impatiens between the shrubs.’
- ‘Stake and support dahlias, gladioli, chrysanthemums and other top-heavy border plants.’
- ‘Her diary also contains numerous references to the bulbs, geraniums, hollyhocks, and dahlias that she planted, tended, and appreciated.’
- ‘Don't overlook summer-blooming callas, dahlias and cannas.’
- ‘Start begonias, caladiums, callas, cannas, and dahlias in pots indoors on a sunny windowsill.’
- ‘The garden is full of marigolds, pansies, dahlias, primulas and nasturtiums, as well as shrub roses and climbers.’
Modern Latin, named in honor of Andreas Dahl (1751–89), Swedish botanist.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.