Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Rock music that appeals to an older generation, or that is heavily influenced by that of an earlier era.‘some reviewers deride his current style as dadrock—music that shouldn't appeal to self-respecting teenagers’
- ‘Angst-fueled dad-rock and graying and receding hairlines was the path they appeared to be forging circa 2007.’
- ‘But if it is his first foray into, say, dad-rock, then he's done a great job.’
- ‘Then there's the unexplained conflation of this ditching of dadrock with the "DJ-driven music" sampling that the kids of today are listening to.’
- ‘It is like most albums by brilliant, eccentric and popular artists: cherished by those who remember it, forgotten by most, usurped in the popular mindset by the lumpen dadrock so cherished by the middlebrow rock press.’
- ‘What a contrast with last year, when Dadrock ruled the roost at the first ever Gig On The Green.’
- ‘His tastes seemed to veer towards dad rock, I'm afraid.’
- ‘The fuse was lit for britpop/dadrock to explode a few years hence.’
- ‘Credited (and later damned) with inspiring the mid-1990s revival of guitar music - or dad rock, to detractors - he now finds himself being referenced by new bands.’
- ‘Dad rock isn't what it used to be.’
- ‘I know Dadrock in the British mid-90's isn't very popular.’
- ‘But don't write this off as dad-rock.’
- ‘To sum up: this is single-paced, predictable, plodding dad rock; it lacks artistic creativity and credibility, features poor arrangements and harmonies that would receive a D grade if submitted as GCSE coursework.’
- ‘It's dad rock (not that my dad was ever into them, I don't think) and the generation gap is too wide.’
- ‘But just as they ditched deodorised dadrock, he dumped the safe route to security.’
- ‘He still found a slot for Sir Paul McCartney, and huge slabs of dad rock.’
- ‘How do you feel about having your music labelled "dadrock" in the British press?’
- ‘They may have made some friends among the rock hierarchy, but the music press was not so flattering, dismissing their music as "dad rock".’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.