One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Toxic to living cells.
- ‘The catalytic antibody technology can localize the delivery of a cytotoxic drug to a specific cell or cancer type.’
- ‘Physician office laboratories that handle cytotoxic drugs are required to have special procedures for handling these agents.’
- ‘Nurses usually prepared and administered intravenous drugs on the wards, but cytotoxic drugs were prepared centrally by the pharmacy department.’
- ‘Ganciclovir is a guanosine analog that becomes strongly cytotoxic when phosphorylated.’
- ‘Leukocidin is a pore-forming protein that has cytotoxic effects on host cells.’
- ‘Earlier studies indicated that the fibrils themselves were the cytotoxic form of amyloid peptides.’
- ‘Unsaturated aldehydes are often cytotoxic, and many of them are precursors of fluorescent products.’
- ‘Pores in membranes can be induced by cytotoxic peptide antibiotics and by peptide fragments of viral glycoproteins.’
- ‘Drug treatment of cancer is often limited by unwanted tissue damage due to the lack of tumor selectivity of the cytotoxic agents administered.’
- ‘The free radicals and reactive species produced by these reactions are highly cytotoxic.’
- ‘Vitamin C is directly cytotoxic to certain cancer cell lines in vitro.’
- ‘This reaction results in the production of oxygen radicals, which are cytotoxic to the tumor cells.’
- ‘The ability to distinguish between the two cell types is not complete, and cytotoxic drugs cannot avoid causing some damage to normal cells.’
- ‘A hospital doctor has been charged with manslaughter over the death of a teenager who was wrongly given a spinal injection of a cytotoxic drug meant for intravenous use only.’
- ‘A wide variety of agents has been discovered that stabilize such structures and exert cytotoxic effects on cells in culture.’
- ‘With cellular immune response, specific cytotoxic T cells are formed.’
- ‘The control experiment with ascorbate alone shows no noticeable cytotoxic action of sodium ascorbate.’
- ‘A woman was exposed to a possible teratogen such as a live vaccine or cytotoxic drug when she was not protected by effective contraception.’
- ‘She was subjected to an intensive combination of cytotoxic drugs and cranial radiotherapy.’
- ‘The fibrils formed by the hexapeptide were also cytotoxic toward the pancreatic cell line.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.