Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Toxic to living cells.
- ‘The catalytic antibody technology can localize the delivery of a cytotoxic drug to a specific cell or cancer type.’
- ‘The ability to distinguish between the two cell types is not complete, and cytotoxic drugs cannot avoid causing some damage to normal cells.’
- ‘Unsaturated aldehydes are often cytotoxic, and many of them are precursors of fluorescent products.’
- ‘Ganciclovir is a guanosine analog that becomes strongly cytotoxic when phosphorylated.’
- ‘Pores in membranes can be induced by cytotoxic peptide antibiotics and by peptide fragments of viral glycoproteins.’
- ‘This reaction results in the production of oxygen radicals, which are cytotoxic to the tumor cells.’
- ‘Vitamin C is directly cytotoxic to certain cancer cell lines in vitro.’
- ‘Drug treatment of cancer is often limited by unwanted tissue damage due to the lack of tumor selectivity of the cytotoxic agents administered.’
- ‘The free radicals and reactive species produced by these reactions are highly cytotoxic.’
- ‘A woman was exposed to a possible teratogen such as a live vaccine or cytotoxic drug when she was not protected by effective contraception.’
- ‘Leukocidin is a pore-forming protein that has cytotoxic effects on host cells.’
- ‘With cellular immune response, specific cytotoxic T cells are formed.’
- ‘The control experiment with ascorbate alone shows no noticeable cytotoxic action of sodium ascorbate.’
- ‘Physician office laboratories that handle cytotoxic drugs are required to have special procedures for handling these agents.’
- ‘A wide variety of agents has been discovered that stabilize such structures and exert cytotoxic effects on cells in culture.’
- ‘The fibrils formed by the hexapeptide were also cytotoxic toward the pancreatic cell line.’
- ‘She was subjected to an intensive combination of cytotoxic drugs and cranial radiotherapy.’
- ‘A hospital doctor has been charged with manslaughter over the death of a teenager who was wrongly given a spinal injection of a cytotoxic drug meant for intravenous use only.’
- ‘Nurses usually prepared and administered intravenous drugs on the wards, but cytotoxic drugs were prepared centrally by the pharmacy department.’
- ‘Earlier studies indicated that the fibrils themselves were the cytotoxic form of amyloid peptides.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.